Poll: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry

Allow I-Café Pilipinas to continue the work.
23 41.1%
Create a new organization to handle the advocacy.
13 23.2%
Forget advocacy work, let matters take its course
20 35.7%
Total number of voters: 56 ( grandphycoman, tedz03ph, josedenniolim, enyo009, marco0805 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 12 Nov 2011 23:08 #472927

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

knowing your wishes regarding advocacy

masyadong broad yan master madaming "you" in the first place that has different backgrounds don't you think? so which you would you represent?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 14 Nov 2011 16:50 #473630

• narmenia
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

xicowner wrote: This poll is intended to gather the i-cafe industry's stakeholders' opinion regarding advocacy work for the industry. Please indicate your choice among the indicated options in the poll. Suggestions on how to do the options are welcome.

The matter was presented by I-Cafe Pilipinas during the Ubertech-ULOP Event but for those who were not there, you may refer to TIMELINE: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry for some details before you make your vote.

NOTE: This is my first time to use the Poll here at ULOP. May I request the mods to correct any error I made in presenting this poll. Thank you.

i hope e sali rin nyu sa advocacy yung pag interconnect ng mga isp natin...
subrang malaking benefit po ito para sa icafe nationwide...

imagine playing in garena na kahit ibang ISP yung host walang lag...

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 14 Nov 2011 16:57 #473633

• narmenia
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Draft a proposed bill for the enactment of a national law

that will regulate the registration and operation of

internet cafes in the country.

eto medyo di ako sangayun... depende pag nakita ko yung requirements...
at may tendency din kasi na maabuso ito...

kahit nga meron organization sa LGU para mag regulate ng icafe meron din tendency na ma abuso...

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 14 Nov 2011 17:22 #473648

• Lernquest
  • Staff Emeritus
  • Staff Emeritus
hindi pa ako nakapag back read pero I voted for "Create a new organization to handle the advocacy"

kahit wala masyado silang gagawin at kahit papogi lang, ang importante nandiyan at pwede pagalawin kung kinakailangan

halimbawa kung merong proposal ang gobyerno na singilin tayo sa pagamit ng hard disk na nangyari na dati, ay meron tayong grupong pwedeng ipaharap sa kanila para tutulan...

kahit sa wika ng mga banyagang teleserye ay maging "sleeper cells" lang, ready to be activated when the need arises...

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 14 Nov 2011 18:13 #473669

• Katropa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Lernquest wrote: hindi pa ako nakapag back read pero I voted for "Create a new organization to handle the advocacy"

kahit wala masyado silang gagawin at kahit papogi lang, ang importante nandiyan at pwede pagalawin kung kinakailangan

halimbawa kung merong proposal ang gobyerno na singilin tayo sa pagamit ng hard disk na nangyari na dati, ay meron tayong grupong pwedeng ipaharap sa kanila para tutulan...

kahit sa wika ng mga banyagang teleserye ay maging "sleeper cells" lang, ready to be activated when the need arises...

+1 why do we need to stop??? kahit may nangyayaring di maganda wag tayong tumigil sa paniniwala natin...

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 15 Nov 2011 01:34 #473861

• Cybertronix
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
the idea is good if ONLY it will maintain its 'sleeper' status.

the problem with the 'papogi setup' is that it comes under the scrutiny of the 'other' ICAs /LANowners. they will not understand that the advocacy is pro-bono, they will expect a lot since the 'new org' will claim to 'represent' the voice of majority.

mas mahirap maipit kung hindi ka talaga seryoso.
funding and capable leaders - pag meron ang 'new org' nito kayang nilang malampasan lahat. otherwise another ticking bomb na naman.

Lernquest wrote: kahit sa wika ng mga banyagang teleserye ay maging "sleeper cells" lang, ready to be activated when the need arises...

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 02 Dec 2011 13:15 #478057

• xicowner's Avatar Topic Author
  • xicowner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Originally, I had scheduled this poll to last until November 30 only. However, in the beginning, we cannot vote if there is an end date due to bug in the survey program. When the end date was removed, we were able to proceed with the poll. Aside from the days lost due to the bug at the beginning, the forum was scheduled for maintenance and was out of service for a few days; hence, instead of making the conclusion now, I decided to extend the poll till December 15.

In the meantime, I wish to clarify the following regarding this poll so you could make an enlightened choice, if ever you decide to vote or change it if you have already voted:

Basically, this is a two-part survey. The first question is whether there is a need for a national organization that will do advocacy work for the i-cafe industry in the country. If your answer to this question is NO, then choose "Forget advocacy work, let matters take its course".

If you decide that the i-cafe industry needs an organization to advocate for its stand on matters affecting the industry at national level, then your choice can be either "Allow I-Cafe Pilipinas to continue the work" (see clarification below) or "Create a new organization to handle the advocacy".

Regarding "Allow I-Cafe Pilipinas to continue the work", space limitation in the survey question did not allow the inclusion of "with changes on modes of membership and leadership" which is in the last slide of the Timeline presentation mentioned in my starting post.

Many views were already ventilated on this thread. I request that you read them first before you make your choice.

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 05 Dec 2011 14:58 #478794

• xicowner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Up ko lang para sa mga hindi pa nakakaboto.

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 17 Dec 2011 18:39 #482842

• xicowner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you very much to all members who voted (a total of 47 as I make this post) on this poll. For the record, I wish to put a copy of the current result of the polls as follows (poll results will change when one change his vote or new votes are cast):

1) Allow I-Cafe Pilipinas to continue the work - 20 votes (42.6%)
2) Create a new organization to handle the advocacy - 10 votes (21.3%)
3) Forget advocacy work, let matters take its course - 17 (36.2%)

While not one of the 3 options got a majority vote (more than 50%), having a national advocacy body (or a nationally supported group) for the i-cafe industry won overwhelming (63.8% or the total of Options 1 and 2) against not having one (36.2% for Option 3).

It's up to you, i-cafe owners among ULOP members, to proceed from here. By way of transition to whatever the majority wants to pursue, I will be posting here in ULOP Forum any invitation and issues for comments that I-Cafe Pilipinas will receive.

Good luck to all of you and the i-cafe industry.

Re: Advocacy Work For I-Cafe Industry 05 Apr 2014 12:39 #780599

• xicowner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Up ko lang 'tong topic para tuparin ang sinabi ko sa aking huling post na ipapaalam ko sa ULOP members ang anumang invitation na matatanggap ko na may kaugnayan sa negosyong i-cafe. Nais ko ring alamin kung ano ang inyong maiimungkahi upang mapagaan ang epekto ng batas sa inyong negosyo.

Last April3, 2014, I received an email from Office Of Cybercrime, Department of Justice which I quote in part as follows:

The Department of Justice, through the Office of Cybercrime (OOC) in coordination with the Department of Science and Technology-Information and Communication Technology Office (DOST-ICTO) and the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) will hold a Public Consultation Meeting on the Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10175 or the “Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012” on 8 April 2014, 9:00am to 12:00nn, at Bayview Salon Rm., Hyatt Hotel, Malate, Manila.

In this regard, we like to invite you or your representative to participate in this event to continue strengthen our collective commitment for a safer and secured online environment for all.

While I am aware that RA 10175 was recently declared constitutional except for a few provisions, I was not aware of the possible effects of its implementation so I made a search on how it could affect the i-cafe businesses in the country and I found the following provisions in the subject law:

SEC. 3. Definition of Terms . . . . . (n) Service provider refers to:

(1) Any public or private entity that provides to users of its service the ability to communicate by means of a computer system;

This provision covers the i-cafe businesses and other mentions of the word "Service provider" in the law are as follows:

SEC. 13. Preservation of Computer Data. — The integrity of traffic data and subscriber information relating to communication services provided by a service provider shall be preserved for a minimum period of six (6) months from the date of the transaction. Content data shall be similarly preserved for six (6) months from the date of receipt of the order from law enforcement authorities requiring its preservation.

Law enforcement authorities may order a one-time extension for another six (6) months: Provided, That once computer data preserved, transmitted or stored by a service provider is used as evidence in a case, the mere furnishing to such service provider of the transmittal document to the Office of the Prosecutor shall be deemed a notification to preserve the computer data until the termination of the case.

The service provider ordered to preserve computer data shall keep confidential the order and its compliance.

Reference: [ Republic Act No. 10175 ] CYBERCRIME PREVENTION ACT OF 2012

NOTE: Hiling ko lang na mag-stick lang ang inyong mga kumento tungkol sa huling post kong ito. Tapos na ang ating talakayan tungkol sa I-Cafe Pilipinas o anumang isyung nauugnay dito. Pakiusap ko lang sa ULOP Mods na pakitugaygayan ang thread na ito. Wala akong ibang pakay kundi ipaalam sa inyo ang mga nagaganap at posibleng maganap sa negosyo ng i-cafe sa anggulong legal.

Last edit: Post by xicowner.
Moderators: Itwarehouse Speclin
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds