TOPIC: Linux OS for LAN shops?

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 22:54 #159381

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
nydron wrote:

In my opinion, imitation is a normal human trait, whether in personal matters or business matters. One may have developed a market but it does not mean he is the one to survive and grow that business, strategy or industry.

This happened in the software industry. Microsoft was not the first to develop DOS or a windowing operating system. Netscape was among the very first graphical browsers and Microsoft back in the 1990s initially ignored the internet. Locally, there were many players during the initial popularity of Liston manok, now Andok's is among the few who made it big. And the list goes on. I don't think we consider these johnny come lately's as leeches or copycats. Instead we seem them competing with one another and trying to give the best products or services to the consumers.

I think the same applies to internet cafes. Yes, it is irritating that others are copying our strategies and type of business. But others are within their right to copy and lower prices. We may see this as leeching but they can also say they are giving customers more choices. And when there is competition, the lower the prices to the delight of consumers, but a head ache for businesses because of falling profits.

When there is perceived monetary benefit in any type of business, people will rush in to join, copy or innovate in that field. I think that's the very purpose of a free market. And once you show, speak or write any of your ideas in your head, it is already out there for everyone to copy, improvise, reject or ignore. This is normal human behavior. Of course, you can protect yourself for a limited time, if your ideas are patentable.

absolutely in agreement with you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 02:40 #159442

• Darkvice
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
archbishop wrote:

men try ninyo heros of new earth linux games ito malakas sa shop ko ngayon ayaw na nila sa dota.

sir archbishop , may extra beta key ka pa ba? pm thanks..

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 02:56 #159446

• Topic Author
  • xernan22
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Darkvice wrote:

archbishop wrote:

men try ninyo heros of new earth linux games ito malakas sa shop ko ngayon ayaw na nila sa dota.

sir archbishop , may extra beta key ka pa ba? pm thanks..

oo nga naman, mamahagi ka naman jan.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 03:13 #159449

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
nydron wrote:

When there is perceived monetary benefit in any type of business, people will rush in to join, copy or innovate in that field. I think that's the very purpose of a free market. And once you show, speak or write any of your ideas in your head, it is already out there for everyone to copy, improvise, reject or ignore. This is normal human behavior. Of course, you can protect yourself for a limited time, if your ideas are patentable.

yung improve, i don't mind at all. pero yung constantly waiting for the first to improve, then copy the improvements?

negative eg:
a friend of mine opened a Sari Sari store, converting their living room. it was such a success, they expanded their products. soon, the neighbor opened their own also in their own living room.

one day, my friend started a Playstation gaming center on the side. the neighbor, more quickly this time, did the same thing.

i'm not saying it's illegal. i'm just saying that the location was a small neighborhood in a village, and the market was small. soon both were having a hard time making a decent living.

positive eg:
my neighbor opened up a Sari Sari Store.
I opened an iCafe

instead of adding snacks in my shop, i let my customers buy their snacks from my neighbor. i earn some, he earns some.

if another neighbor asks me what they can get into, i'd probably say sell school supplies.

why compete when there's a lot of products you can sell in harmony with each other? i believe it's called Ecology.

so kung gaming ang business ng inabutan mo, you can capture the browsing public. ^^

Last edit: Post by Bien.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 03:34 #159458

• perbiu
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That is the consequence of going into an easy entry business, you can get in easy so does others as well.

Linux cafe is a hard entry, but congratulations, if you can pull it off, you now belong to the "elite" businessman.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 03:39 #159460

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
perbiu wrote:

That is the consequence of going into an easy entry business, you can get in easy so does others as well.

Linux cafe is a hard entry, but congratulations, if you can pull it off, you now belong to the "elite" businessman.

as i posted before, isa pa lang nakita kong nag pull off nyan, si sadistikal. tumagal din syang pure Linux, until Ms intervened.

so you see guys, it's not impossible.

here is where i end my case. i have nothing further. ^^

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 03:45 #159462

• nydron
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yes, those kind of situations are irritating for the one with initiative. My sister experienced the same. She put up a small store selling fish ball, shredded corn and shake. The owner of the store beside her followed suit and copied her shake since it was the top seller. Every improvement she did in her store, the other one copied also.

The only advantage my sister had was that she's always one step ahead since she's the one who plans and thinks. The other one just follows. If what she copied is a mistake, that could be costly.

My point to my sister is that it would be better to expect that someone will surely imitate you. You must be prepared to innovate fast. Unless of course you go into a niche market that is very difficult to imitate or no one likes to go into that kind of business for some reason or another. It is human nature for some to just copy others with regards to a line of business. The thinking could be that, there's already a market for it and they want to take advantage of it even for a limited time (like the zagu, litson manok, laundry and internet cafe craze). That's their strategy, unfortunately whether we like it or not.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 03:51 #159465

• nydron
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That's an interesting story. Microsoft intervened in a small shop? Can you share us what transpired if possible? I find it surprising that Microsoft would pay attention especially that opensource is now widely used in the corporate world.

I too am interested in running windows software in Linux/Wine just like the initial poster. Yes, it would be difficult instead of just buying Windows. But if it's possible, the savings on licenses would be tremendous. Unfortunately, online games are still problematic. However, the most popular like Counterstrike and Dota are already possible.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 13:48 #159521

• horizon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
the best reason i like linux to dominate our market is because it's free, it's not because it's cheap or it's better simply because it's free and because the government is not competent enough to deliver justice to every lanshop owner or at least 85 percent of them.

Imagine a good and obedient hardworking lanshop owner sacrificing a piece of his every meal just to buy an os and know for a fact that his good neighbor competitor is smiling expanding his lanshop with no Legit OS at all?

who would dominate on this industry are those kapalmuks! who wud never consider buying an OS and are used in breaking the law.

with OS and other aps free, the playing field would be equal, maybe it's wishing upon a star but it's more possible and nearer than expecting crooked politicians/authorities to do their job.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 14 Sep 2009 19:58 #159599

• boyet
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
dami na email natanggap ko galing mga kaibigan abroad at bihira lang mga pinoy nagtatanong sa akin on how i managed and survived using only linux sa shop. pero di ako nagiisa marami ho kami na di pa nagparamdam kc nga usual business nyo is about gaming but here we only cater basic computing at linux games lang.

yeah Heores of Newerth bago to? parang clone lang ng dota, try nga.

@ all, depende lang yan sa area, strategy at sipag...

Moderators: Itwarehouse Speclin
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds