TOPIC: Linux OS for LAN shops?

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 19:52 #159347

• Topic Author
  • xernan22
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ang gastos ko lang sa software warcraft 3 + FT (1k each pc) para sa dota, hindi ko mapagana sa garena pero walang problem sa battlenet, mga linux native games na nilalaro sa shop ko, true combat(lan), urbanterror(online), savage 2(online), glest(lan)

[/quote]

Gumamit ka pa ba ng wine sa mga games na ito sir?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by xernan22.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 20:21 #159350

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It's true you can't run most online games using Linux based systems, especially those using Gameguard.

Thing is, if you're going to use Linux, you'll be different from everybody else. Therefore, there is a chance you can create your own market using games that can run on Linux, and games that were particularly made for Linux.

Why use Linux if your targeting Windows based game markets? Just use Windows, and relieve yourself of endless headaches looking for solutions. It's so logical, it must be simple common sense.

Trying to run all Direct X games on Linux is just about the same as doing the vice versa, trying to run Linux games on Windows. Better just take a trip to the hardware store, buy a cheap hammer, and hit yourself on the head. Same effect anyway. Bakit mo pa papahirapan sarili mo?

If you can't decide, then go into the fried chicken business. but that's a whole new thread altogether... :-)

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 20:37 #159353

• kcavenue43
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Bien wrote:

If you can't decide, then go into the fried chicken business. but that's a whole new thread altogether... :-)

Why not? :D LOL

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 20:40 #159356

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Bien wrote:

It's true you can't run most online games using Linux based systems, especially those using Gameguard.

Thing is, if you're going to use Linux, you'll be different from everybody else. Therefore, there is a chance you can create your own market using games that can run on Linux, and games that were particularly made for Linux.

Why use Linux if your targeting Windows based game markets? Just use Windows, and relieve yourself of endless headaches looking for solutions. It's so logical, it must be simple common sense.

Trying to run all Direct X games on Linux is just about the same as doing the vice versa, trying to run Linux games on Windows. Better just take a trip to the hardware store, buy a cheap hammer, and hit yourself on the head. Same effect anyway. Bakit mo pa papahirapan sarili mo?

linux is still in developement process, and most of its development are geared towards application than games, linux is facing many problems running both local, online and stand alone games and the development of third party emulator to run the games is not quick as everybody thought.

Being "different" is a good choice IF the clientle will embrace it, the fact of the matter is, majority of icafe client are gamers and many of them are more comfortable with windows than linux, many big businesses "creates their own market by being different from everybody else" (case in point the HP vectra pc's) by introducing unique products, however they end up either to go with what the market dictates or losing the business altogether, the market dictates that most icafe client are into gaming and it is unfortunate to say the most games are designed for windows, as i have mentioned, if your target market is more on applications like student doing their research or customers that are not into gaming, then linux is the best choice, but then again, you are limiting the oppurtunity of your business to grow and the target market is quite small (biting a bullet?).

anyhow, choosing what OS to use for icafe is a matter of owner's target market.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 21:19 #159364

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
men try ninyo heros of new earth linux games ito malakas sa shop ko ngayon ayaw na nila sa dota.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 21:32 #159365

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
i wouldn't really say biting the bullet. The market is there. there are many iCAfes with no gaming at all, and are making more profit actually than most gaming based shops.

it's really how you plan to attack the market. if your shop is full of kids, noisy, and rowdy, those who are looking for quiet internet time would shun away.

mine is in between the gamers and plain internet users. only 4 units actually have a PCIe video card installed. so far, i have no use for high end video cards since i only install the games my machines can run properly. let the other shops have the rest.

therefore, i developed my market "niche" and many have tried to get my customers and failed (so far anyway, 8 years running). Why? because here it's quiet, doesn't smell of sweat, and they leave knowing their flash drives are virus free. My registered members now number to 350 pax. If they're going to use a computer, my shop is the first on their list.

When I started in this industry, there was not one iCafe put up in their homes. All were in commercial areas, at least as far as i can tell. So I tried it in my area and home. With a lot of hard work, I developed the market, and had a great start. I don't use an air conditioner, but I'm able to maintain a comfortable temperature for my clients.

After 6 months, my neighbors got in the act. See what I mean? Markets can be developed if you just work on it. Problem is, most people are just too lazy to use their head and make something new with their money. They look for existing markets, and use the time tried "price dropping scheme" to get some of the pie, strangling off any chance of a decent living.

For me, that's not being an entrepreneur. It's called being a leech, and when leeches usually run out of blood to suck, they close shop and go on to another victim or go broke.

My point in this whole post is, "Don't be afraid to be different!" Strive to be unique, so that you won't be affected with the slightest competition. Don't be contented with a piece of the pie. Create a whole new one for yourself. If you've got what it takes to run a Linux based shop, then do so. You just might surprise yourself. If not, then I hope I won't see you in the "Nalulugi ang Shop Ko!" thread. Heaven knows there are enough Windows based shops in that one with every Online game installed in their units. :-/

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 22:29 #159373

• badrra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
This is a very interesting topic and I hope LAN shop owners using linux would come out and tell us their experiences good or bad. It would be interesting, like you said, how others think out of the box and do something that appears to be a complete opposite of what the rest are doing.

I am sure icafe business is not just for gaming. Di pa lang nakikita kung ano ibang pwedeng gawin. But even in the gaming arena, Java games are fast becoming a fad. What is intersting about it is that Java is cross platform which could render wine entirely useless in the end.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 22:40 #159376

• badrra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
archbishop wrote:

men try ninyo heros of new earth linux games ito malakas sa shop ko ngayon ayaw na nila sa dota.

Susubukan ko yan....I will run it using Puppy linux tignan ko kung ok.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 22:47 #159378

• nydron
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
In my opinion, imitation is a normal human trait, whether in personal matters or business matters. One may have developed a market but it does not mean he is the one to survive and grow that business, strategy or industry.

This happened in the software industry. Microsoft was not the first to develop DOS or a windowing operating system. Netscape was among the very first graphical browsers and Microsoft back in the 1990s initially ignored the internet. Locally, there were many players during the initial popularity of Liston manok, now Andok's is among the few who made it big. And the list goes on. I don't think we consider these johnny come lately's as leeches or copycats. Instead we seem them competing with one another and trying to give the best products or services to the consumers.

I think the same applies to internet cafes. Yes, it is irritating that others are copying our strategies and type of business. But others are within their right to copy and lower prices. We may see this as leeching but they can also say they are giving customers more choices. And when there is competition, the lower the prices to the delight of consumers, but a head ache for businesses because of falling profits.

When there is perceived monetary benefit in any type of business, people will rush in to join, copy or innovate in that field. I think that's the very purpose of a free market. And once you show, speak or write any of your ideas in your head, it is already out there for everyone to copy, improvise, reject or ignore. This is normal human behavior. Of course, you can protect yourself for a limited time, if your ideas are patentable.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 22:47 #159379

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Bien wrote:

i wouldn't really say biting the bullet. The market is there. there are many iCAfes with no gaming at all, and are making more profit actually than most gaming based shops.

it's really how you plan to attack the market. if your shop is full of kids, noisy, and rowdy, those who are looking for quiet internet time would shun away.

mine is in between the gamers and plain internet users. only 4 units actually have a PCIe video card installed. so far, i have no use for high end video cards since i only install the games my machines can run properly. let the other shops have the rest.

therefore, i developed my market "niche" and many have tried to get my customers and failed (so far anyway, 8 years running). Why? because here it's quiet, doesn't smell of sweat, and they leave knowing their flash drives are virus free. My registered members now number to 350 pax. If they're going to use a computer, my shop is the first on their list.

When I started in this industry, there was not one iCafe put up in their homes. All were in commercial areas, at least as far as i can tell. So I tried it in my area and home. With a lot of hard work, I developed the market, and had a great start. I don't use an air conditioner, but I'm able to maintain a comfortable temperature for my clients.

After 6 months, my neighbors got in the act. See what I mean? Markets can be developed if you just work on it. Problem is, most people are just too lazy to use their head and make something new with their money. They look for existing markets, and use the time tried "price dropping scheme" to get some of the pie, strangling off any chance of a decent living.

For me, that's not being an entrepreneur. It's called being a leech, and when leeches usually run out of blood to suck, they close shop and go on to another victim or go broke.

My point in this whole post is, "Don't be afraid to be different!" Strive to be unique, so that you won't be affected with the slightest competition. Don't be contented with a piece of the pie. Create a whole new one for yourself. If you've got what it takes to run a Linux based shop, then do so. You just might surprise yourself. If not, then I hope I won't see you in the "Nalulugi ang Shop Ko!" thread. Heaven knows there are enough Windows based shops in that one with every Online game installed in their units. :-/

well, that is your target market and it works for you as you know your way around, however, large number of cafe owners established their business without any knowledge of computer (otherwise ulop forum won't be here for others who needs help), many of them just went into the same business as everybody does, as the saying goes, "my work for you but not for all", the bottom line is, any OS has a viable oppurtunity to be used in the icafe business provided that the operator has the "know-how", it is so happened that windows is by far the most easiest to operate in an icafe business even for a newbies, less headache for the operator and for some ROI is much favorable.

Moderators: Itwarehouse Speclin
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds