TOPIC: Linux OS for LAN shops?

Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 00:57 #158945

• Topic Author
  • xernan22
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Mga bossing pwede kaya ang Linux OS for computer shops?

PROS?
>
CONS?
>

please share your ideas and experiences for those who have tried Linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 01:03 #158947

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
xernan22 wrote:

PROS?
>
CONS?
>

Linux is good as it is free, you don't have to worry about being raided by the proper authority, HOWEVER, many games won't run although you can use wine to emulate windows to run some games, however, only few games are supported by the wine and most of the supported games are the old ones.

you also have to consider the customer, majority of them are used with windows so giving them linux OS means you have to have someone to focus with your customer for a help.

if your icafe is more of applications and browsing than games, then use it, but if your icafe is more on games, you can use linux but you are signing your own icafe death warrant.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 03:35 #158979

• friday13th
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
virus free?

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 03:38 #158980

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
primus wrote:

if your icafe is more of applications and browsing than games, then use it, but if your icafe is more on games, you can use linux but you are signing your own icafe death warrant.

not always...

sadistikal tried it, and had so good a business, Ms had to give him a visit and offer something he couldn't refuse. whatever that was, sya lang nakakaalam. hehehe

Linux has their own games that are at par with Windows based games. Further, there a lot more Windows based games now that can be run on Linux. It's been posted here before.

With online games moving on to browser based, as in Facebook, Y8, etc., the gap is quickly closing.

Question is... are you brave enough to create the market in your area?

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 03:45 #158984

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Bien wrote:

primus wrote:

not always...

sadistikal tried it, and had so good a business, Ms had to give him a visit and offer something he couldn't refuse. whatever that was, sya lang nakakaalam. hehehe

Linux has their own games that are at par with Windows based games. Further, there a lot more Windows based games now that can be run on Linux. It's been posted here before.

With online games moving on to browser based, as in Facebook, Y8, etc., the gap is quickly closing.

Question is... are you brave enough to create the market in your area?

when it comes to online gaming like role-playing, there is still a wide gap between ms and linux, that is simply a fact, although many people had a success running those games under linux, it is not quite as easy as windows does in terms of installation and maintenance, I am not arguing whether linux can be used in icafe, the answer is definitely yes, however, you must always give a big consideration to your bread and butter.. which of course your customer. realistically speaking, what are the age ratio of icafe customer? and what OS they prefer? and what game both local and online they prefer? you can't push to your customer what you want for them, you must abide to what they want.

linux in an icafe has a limited oppurtunity attracting more customers, it will also limit you installing latest games as well.

why not spend a little amount of money for your business than pulling your hair and losing customer just because you want to use the free OS. I am not advertising windows here, I myself is a linux user since its initial 0.9x release. after all your icafe is making money isn't it?

Last edit: Post by primus.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 19:00 #159134

• badrra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I am not a LAN owner and I certainly don't know what the market dictates. I am a linux user and I have done a lot of experiments on it as well. Out of sheer curiosity I guess.

I would agree with primus at this point. If you're icafe is more on games then Windows is your best bet. Linux is not yet ready for "Windows" games not because of installation issues, but because of "Anti-hacking" softwares. "Gameguard", etc. With wine, its as easy as clicking on the "setup.exe" button and that's it. Others require a little tweaking for it to work.

Until a change in market preferences or some technical marvel allowed games to install and run independent of OS , MS Windows will still be dominating industry and I guess the entire market.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 19:13 #159138

• primus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
badrra wrote:

I am not a LAN owner and I certainly don't know what the market dictates. I am a linux user and I have done a lot of experiments on it as well. Out of sheer curiosity I guess.

I would agree with primus at this point. If you're icafe is more on games then Windows is your best bet. Linux is not yet ready for "Windows" games not because of installation issues, but because of "Anti-hacking" softwares. "Gameguard", etc. With wine, its as easy as clicking on the "setup.exe" button and that's it. Others require a little tweaking for it to work.

Until a change in market preferences or some technical marvel allowed games to install and run independent of OS , MS Windows will still be dominating industry and I guess the entire market.

there are many games that won't run nicely with wine, you can install it.. yes, but while playing that games, it will act-up particularly when a games played under network situations, from time to time, some games will run on some hardware under linux and some won't, As I said before, I 've been using linux since it's initial release back in the 90's until to this date, linux is designed to be an application OS rather than a gaming OS where Windows is focused on, as many game developer keeps producing new games, linux on the other hand is on a "cat and mouse" chase just to run those new games under linux, added to the fact that if some linux guru out there would spend a little bit of his time to make those new games to run under linux using wine. it is not practical to use a free OS to run an internet cafe focused on gaming, it is not worth it, besides, most internet cafe owner put up their businesses with a gaming service in their mind. it is just to much hazzle to run games under linux and that would cost you "time and money", a question must be asked, "would you spend 500 thousand pesos for your business and run an OS that god knows whether it will run the games nicely or not?" I don't think a good business man would jump into that band wagon of "going free" but won't give the customer a gaming experience.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 12 Sep 2009 22:11 #159192

• Darkvice
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
xernan22 wrote:

PROS?
>
CONS?
>

sir nung nag open ako ng computer shop nung May last year, lahat ng computers ko naka slackware 12, currently testing slackware 13 sa server muna bago ko deploy sa ibang pc, ito yung mga na observe ko

CONS:
- lagi may vacant (mga 3hrs lang ako puno sa 9hrs operation), siguro dahil konti lang games or dahil ako pinaka mahal sa area namin 20/hr compaired sa 10/hr-15/hr na windows based gaming shops
- kailangan mo pa i-assist yung mga customers na hindi familiar sa linux desktop environment ( sa umpisa lang naman ito ), xfce na gamit ko, dati blackbox + fbpanel

PROS:
- since ang magiging customers mo yung mga laging friendster/facebook/chat/youtube/research dahil alam nila walang ma-ingay na gamers sa shop mo, madalas din ang printing
- hindi kailangan mabibilis na pc or madalas na upgrades, hindi karin apektado kapag may bagong bukas na gaming shop sa area mo, ito kasi nakikita kong trend sa area namin, kapag may bagong bukas na shop bago/mabibilis pc ang mga lumang gaming shops magbababa sa 10/hr after 2 months sarado na, after ilang months ganun ulit ang cycle
- kahit wala ng antivirus, basta strict file permission pwede na, ito ang gusto ng ibang regulars ko dito, hindi na nila kailangan magpaalam kung may flash drive sila para mag upload or download

ang gastos ko lang sa software warcraft 3 + FT (1k each pc) para sa dota, hindi ko mapagana sa garena pero walang problem sa battlenet, mga linux native games na nilalaro sa shop ko, true combat(lan), urbanterror(online), savage 2(online), glest(lan)

Last edit: Post by Darkvice.

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 16:48 #159328

• badrra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
@primus

I agree with your observation

@Darkvice

This is a very interesting case. While everyone thinks that icafe=gaming cafe, here's an entrepreneur who looks at other things for his shop, other than gaming. I would like to know if after all that, is it making money? and If you were given the chance, would you build another one?

Re:Linux OS for LAN shops? 13 Sep 2009 19:25 #159342

• horizon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
badrra wrote:

@primus

I agree with your observation

@Darkvice

This is a very interesting case. While everyone thinks that icafe=gaming cafe, here's an entrepreneur who looks at other things for his shop, other than gaming. I would like to know if after all that, is it making money? and If you were given the chance, would you build another one?

very nice to hear that sir Darkvice! Wish you more success to come!!!

Moderators: Itwarehouse Speclin
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds