TOPIC: I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld

I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 09 Nov 2009 22:20 #168707

• hapijoyph's Avatar Topic Author
  • hapijoyph
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 09 Nov 2009 22:36 #168709

• TopspinCafe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nat’l law to increase entry barrier of Net cafés proposed

By Tom S. Noda
Computerworld Philippines
October 28, 2009

To achieve its goal of bringing the local Internet café industry to a higher level, an advocacy group called I-Café Pilipinas (I-Café) is proposing the creation of a national law that will increase the entry barrier among Net café businesses in the Philippines.

Ed Zafra, chairman of I-Café, claimed that increasing the entry barrier of Net cafes will solve “many industry ills,” pertaining to quality of establishments, software piracy, IT security, user education, including the practice of right norms or etiquettes of users while inside a public net café.

“If we could only raise the entry barrier on Internet cafes like a drugstore, where an owner needs to become a licensed pharmacist first in order to operate the business, it will solve a lot of problems when it comes to licensed software, IP codes, and quality of Net café establishments, which are hard to implement in the national level,” Zafra said.

Zafra said although there are many talented IT graduates and employees in the country today, only a few are “licensed” IT professionals.

According to Zafra, local government units (LGUs) can be deputized to implement the law and regulate the booming industry.

Zafra said although Net café figures in the Philippines appear only about 12,000 to 15,000 in popular search engines like Yahoo!, he reported that there are around 30,000 to 40,000 Net cafes in the country today, both legal and illegal with average PC units of 10 to 400 units.

Functioning as a national advocacy body like Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) or Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP), Zafra said I-Café is a group of partners and affiliates but no individual memberships. One of its missions is to serve as the guiding body for the creation of local government laws related to the Net café industry.

“I-Café Pilipinas was created to do collaborative work with the existing internet café associations on the different areas in the country and to motivate those internet café owners to form one establishment in areas where there are none,” he said, noting the organization will not function as a regulating body that would impose rules and fine its affiliates.

I-Café was formally launched last Oct. 21 at the National Computer Center (NCC) in the University of the Philippines (UP) in Diliman Quezon City, supported by the Commission on ICT (CICT). Its vision is to bring the advances of ICT to the remotest community in the Philippines with the Internet cafes as access points.

According to CICT chairman Ray Anthony-Roxas Chua, Net cafés in the Philippines can turn into community e-centers, a government project which is now being implemented to educate the public about the benefits of ICT.

Chua said by turning Net cafes into community e-centers, there is a lesser need in building new establishments since the infrastructure exists already and what is needed is for it to function as a learning center.

“The popularity of Internet cafes shows us the readiness of our people to use the Internet, and the CICT joins I-Café Pilipinas in looking for ways to improve our service for our people and in addressing the digital divide,” Chua said. “We are also looking forward to the further development of this national organization which would become the unified voice for the Internet café industry.”

hapijoyph wrote:

computerworld.com.ph/nat%E2%80%99l-law-t...-net-cafes-proposed/

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 09 Nov 2009 23:50 #168725

• xicowner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I wish to thank the TS and TopspinCafe for posting this news article here at ULOP. Those who have questions, comments and reactions about the content of the news can please post them so that we can clarify what we mean.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 00:02 #168727

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
finally, an original write up. :-)

Thanks Computerworld Philippines! ^^

Actually, eto pa lang write up na nakapag explain ng mabuti what the org was about.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 00:16 #168729

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
"Zafra said although there are many talented IT graduates and employees in the country today, only a few are “licensed” IT professionals"

so meaning to say kailangan licence ka na IT para makapag business ng icafe? oh common ang laki ng pagkakaiba ng pharmacy sa icafe. pharmacy sa gamot in which kailangan talaga ng tao unlike ng icafe kahit di ka maginternet ng isang buwan ok lang.

Moreover bakit di kaya ipush ang linux para mapababa din ang gastos sa school at government office bakit hindi ipush yan. ng saganun ang naitipid sa software sa school maibili ng libro, upuan sa school or another set ng pc.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 00:35 #168733

• Bien
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
archbishop wrote:

"Zafra said although there are many talented IT graduates and employees in the country today, only a few are “licensed” IT professionals"

so meaning to say kailangan licence ka na IT para makapag business ng icafe? oh common ang laki ng pagkakaiba ng pharmacy sa icafe. pharmacy sa gamot in which kailangan talaga ng tao unlike ng icafe kahit di ka maginternet ng isang buwan ok lang.

Moreover bakit di kaya ipush ang linux para mapababa din ang gastos sa school at government office bakit hindi ipush yan. ng saganun ang naitipid sa software sa school maibili ng libro, upuan sa school or another set ng pc.

di naman need maging IT licensed. at least may idea paano magpatakbo ng icafe. sa dinami dami ng nagtatayo every year, the average lifespan is about 6 months. imagine, ilang taon mong inipon, in 6 months lang, sarado ka na? sa lugar ko lang, ilang beses na may nagtayo na ganyan sinapit. pati ako pinahirapan ng 6 months.

about linux, medyo madami pang kalaban dyan. people disbursing the budget mostly shy away from purchaseless projects. walang kita sila dun eh. but we're not giving up. right now, all we can do is keep pounding for change.

add ko lang. if you have any idea how to go about it, we're open to suggestions.

Last edit: Post by Bien.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 00:45 #168736

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bien wrote:

archbishop wrote:

di naman need maging IT licensed. at least may idea paano magpatakbo ng icafe. sa dinami dami ng nagtatayo every year, the average lifespan is about 6 months. imagine, ilang taon mong inipon, in 6 months lang, sarado ka na? sa lugar ko lang, ilang beses na may nagtayo na ganyan sinapit. pati ako pinahirapan ng 6 months.

about linux, medyo madami pang kalaban dyan. people disbursing the budget mostly shy away from purchaseless projects. walang kita sila dun eh. but we're not giving up. right now, all we can do is keep pounding for change.

sir its their freedom to put up establishment, as businessmen we knew thats there are "risk" involved. kung malugi sila edi lugi kaya nga nadito ang ulop kung bakit wag magprice war if gusto pa nila then go on its their right. Besides papano ka magkakaidea kung di mo papasukin di ba. Moreover papano mo justify kung idea ng isang tao magpatakbo ng isang icafe ay ok vs dun sa isang tao na ang pagpapatakbo ng icafe niya iba.

I really agree that icafe pilipinas must push Open source. Now if the government are backing away with this kasi walang "kickback" then its just another story na papahirapan naman tayong mga negosyante at mamayang pilipino. Therefore this Icafe would not do very well kasi may greediness sa umpisa palang. Sana Sir Bien mapush ang open source. kasi tignan nalang natin sa public school as in waskwasak ang mga libro or mag upuan is that the future? Being a citizen of this country I myself say no to graft and corruption.

Ang totoo niyan kaya madaming shops sa pilipinas kasi walang trabaho sa pilipinas.... may trabaho man hindi sapat puro contractual lang. lets look deeper lets look at the cause and apply the necessary remedy. parang ganito lang yan sa gamot, masasakit ang ipin simpre masakit sa ulo so bibili ba tayo ng biogesic para mawala sakit sa ulo of course hindi di ba. hanapin natin bakit at saka natin solusyonan.

Ganito lang sa tingin ko ha basta mahalaga Go ang icafe pilipinas sa open source and we want to push it yan ang one objective. Sana wag tayong Toda na ang presidente ng TODA lang ang makikinabang at hawak ng mayor.

Last edit: Post by archbishop.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 01:27 #168756

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
papano kung ganito na lang may isang malaking businessman dahil na increase ang barrier kaya niya mag 10 pesos per hour so legit OS as in legit lahat. Ok lang ba?

Last edit: Post by archbishop.

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 01:28 #168757

• badboyjr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
proposed pa lang naman yata yan e

Re:I-Cafe Pilipinas News in Computerworld 10 Nov 2009 01:30 #168759

• archbishop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
badboyjr wrote:

proposed pa lang naman yata yan e

yap at sana baguhin at sa tingin ko talagang mali.

Moderators: Itwarehouse Speclin
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds